Sunday, October 9, 2022

Sukkot Blog Hop

 


Hello Crafty Friends,

Another Jewish holiday is starting: Sukkot.
This holiday is also known as the Feast of Booths or Tabernacles.

Sukkot commemorates the 40 years the Jews spend  in the desert
on their way to the Promised Land after escaping slavery in Egypt.
Today, the sukkah (the booth) is a reminder of the way the Jews lived
during their dwelling in the desert.

On Sukkot there is the shaking of the "lulav": a bundle of leaves and 
an etrog (lookgs like a lemon) whisch symbolizes a lot of things. You
can read about it HERE.

For my card I was inspired by the lulav
and I used two sets to make the card:
SU! Lemon Zest (and matching punch)
SU! Tropical Chic.

I started out by stamping the palm leave with cucumber crush ink.
I stamped each leave twice, so you also have a lighter version of the
leave. The lemmons (looking as etrogs) are stamped on a seperate piece of 
paper and cut out with the matching paper punch.

It is very important for the etrog to have a special point on the
fruit called the pitom. I used some brown on the top of the etrog
to symbolize this.


The sentiment is printed with the computer.
I added some green shiny gemstones for a little 
bling on the card.

I made a matching envelop to the square card
5x5 inch is the size og the card.

Here is a little more info about the lulav:

And for the 2nd card I used
SU! Lemon Zest and Tropical Thinlits dies
and various stamps I got at


I started making the background with the main focus stamp.
I stamped the man decorating the sukkah in black all
over the panel. Next I stamped the Jewish sentiment
(gak sameach meaning happy holiday). Then I colored the 
background in green ink. Next i took a leafy embossing
folder and ran this panel through the big shot and last
I used the blending tool and brown sugar ink to color the
raised parts of the paper.

The palm leaves are made with one of the Tropical
Thinlits Dies. The sentiment on top is printed with
the computer and the picture is colored with markers.


Here is the inside of the card.
On top I glued one leaf I had left over and used 
a piece of paper from the cutting as a template
to make the top looking like the roof of a sukkah.
The sentiment is a stamp by ZumGaliGali Rubber stamps.

Thank you all for looking.
Have a wonderful holiday.
Chag Sameach, Happy Sukkot












2 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful set of cards Hetty -your background with the stamping, dry embossing and ink is stunning. Thank you for the links also- I have read them, and now understand more of your traditions.
Blessings
Maxine

Fikreta said...

gorgeous cards!