Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Cards for the Jewish New Year

Today I have been crafting for the Jewish New Year/ 
Rosh Hashana. This important Jewish Holiday starts this year on
September 18, so it is time to try out some cards.

This year I found some nice apples at the
a home based online shop in the UK.

I used the following:
the Bees Knees stamp set
the loving tree stencil and
the sunray stencil.

The apple is a special stamp, especially handcarved by request
(thank you so very much Donna, I love it!!)

Why is the apple a symbol for the Jesish New Year?

Apples and honey: One of the most popular Rosh Hashanah customs involves eating apple slices dipped in honey, sometimes after saying a special prayer. Ancient Jews believed apples had healing properties, and the honey signifies the hope that the new year will be sweet.

More info about the Jewis New Year can be found HERE.

So for my cards I used oxide distress ink with the stencils
and markers to color the bees.

To get the bees in a circle, I used one of my circle dies and
drew a line around it with a penil (later erased). It did take some
finding out how many bees in the circle.

The sentiment L'Shana Tova is Hebrew for wishing
a Good Year.

The apples in the background are colored with green
and red oxide distress ink and a stencil.

To see how I did this technique with the Sunray stencil,
look below:

I first stamped the apple and covered it with a piece
of post-it note where i had stamped the apple again and cut out.
This is called a mask. Now I lay the Sunray stencil on
top and color with the blue ink.

I know i am going to need a lot of bees for my card, so I colored
a bunch at the same time. I added a little glossy accent
on the winks for some shine.

This is a totally different card with a big apple on the tree
and a bee wondering what is going on.

I am not sure which card I shall mass produce. 
Which one do you like best?

Thank you for looking,
stay safe and
keep crafting.




4 comments:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Those are so cute and sure to be appreciated.

kiwimeskreations said...

All the designs are fabulous Hetty, but my favourite is the sunray card.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

OH! Hetty, they are just marvellous. I wouldn't know which to choose, as both are fabulous.
Faith x

Fikreta said...

these are so wonderful cards!